Ok. So it's been awhile and boy oh boy have things changed. We've been out of internet for awhile and when we were living in the hotel it was like having dial up, so now that we have a 'little" better than dial up I will fill you in on our latest adventure.
THE DRY CABIN
When we started looking for a place to stay here we had "few" options. We ultimately want to build, however you can really only do that in the few short months of summer. And well, this summer is a bit too soon for us to do that. So we needed to find space for this summer. The apartments are pretty crappy and kinda expensive so we started looking into "dry cabins". What is a dry cabin you might wonder. Well, at first Jim was like how do you feel about a "dry cabin"? Uh, fine...wait what's a "dry cabin"? There are tons and tons of them and when we looked at craigslist for apartments the dry cabin would always come up and they were half of the cost of an apartment. So, we went and looked at one. I didn't get out of the car...it had to pass his test before he would let me even look at it. They were usually so dirty and the 2 Jim looked at only had partial walls on the outhouse. Yes, I said outhouse.
Jim would come back and say yes or no. We only looked at 2 before I put the kibosh on the dry cabin...with one minor possibility. I said that it would need to be a really really nice cabin to compensate for the dry factor. Nice cabinets, nice flooring. The ones we were looking at were just plywood floors and 2x12's as cabinets. Functional, yes but not with a kid. I knew it would be hard, but don't make it harder than it has to be. With this little ultimatum, I thought I was in the clear. But the very next day there is an ad for a "nice" dry cabin. I send Jim off to investigate and not only are the nice, but they are BRAND SPANKIN NEW. Now I thought these cabins were just run down super old cabins, not something you would build ON PURPOSE!
There were 5 cabins that were in the process of being built and we moved in a week later. We scored with being the first ones to look at them so we got to pick the one we wanted. We picked the cabin on the end the furthest into the woods.
How do we live here you might be wondering? Well, we quickly signed up for the gym and that is where we shower for the most part. I am going to be in the best shape of my life with that kind of incentive. Plus Charlie loves the daycare and you can't beat 2 hours of alone time. I have never taken an hour to get ready in the morning...I actually blow dry my hair now. On Sunday we omit the gym and shower in the woods...it's awesome. The first time I took one I was blown away by the calmness I felt. It is a great way to start the Sabbath. Good thing church is at 11, I'm not so sure I would feel this good if I had 8 o'clock church.
Seriously, Jim is creating my Swiss Family Robinson fantasy. Don't you just love that movie and secretly want to live in a tree house? Maybe that's just me. I tried to wash my clothes in a bucket cause I refused to pay $9.00 to wash a load of laundry at the laundromat. That didn't last, my clothes didn't get very clean and it took 2 days for them to dry. So now I wear everything twice, perhaps I shouldn't have shared that with blogland. Whatever, you don't live here and you probably would do the same thing...maybe even 3 or 4 times?
Join me next time on living in Alaska...the OUTHOUSE and the SUN THAT DOESN'T SET
11 comments:
Wow! That is very Swiss Family Robinson. Now you just need some pirates. What an adventure!
i loved this post. it is fun to see how it all works!!
I've said it before ... you guys are crazy!!!! ;) I would probably be at the gym everyday, too. You are a good sport to try something so new and different. On the plus side, I am seriously envious that you don't have to clean a shower ;)
holy crap.
I'm glad you have the gym!
What I'm wondering is...if you only shower in the woods on Sundays, in the summertime when the gym is closed, how are you going to brave it when it's 40 below and snowing, even for one day a week? XOX
I can't believe you washed your clothes in a BUCKET! You are hardcore, girl!!!
So how long will you be living there? You are gonna have the best stories to tell your grandkids. And i have to say that I would be a little nervous about bears while I was showering out under the trees. Be safe (smile)
This is fascinating stuff. Seriously. I love reading about your lifestyle and how you guys are doing things out there. Of course I've always wanted to live like the Swiss Family Robinson, but I'm not sure I would really do it when it comes right down to it. And just for the record, I do have a washer and dryer and I still wear my clothes many times before I wash them. So there! No judgement from here!
sweeeeeet!
Taking a shower in the woods does sound awesome and Charlie is such a cute name for a girl!
I am dying here! Somehow I "lost" you rblog (which I love) and haven't seen any posts since you made the move. Oh. My. Goodness. My daughter would so love to move to Alaska and live with you. She is adventure girl... That outdoor shower must be amazing and your husband is the mack daddy for making it.
Post a Comment