We are a little seat challenged here in our cabin. The main level is 16 x 20 and houses the kitchen/office/dining room/living room all in one. We have had to do a little creative decorating, one of those was opting for a love seat instead of a couch...BIG MISTAKE!!! Every night we curl up on the couch and by the time we manage to get semi comfortable we both yell out in chorus, "I hate this couch!!" In reality a full size couch would have fit, but at the time we weren't too sure. We regret it everyday, but are making due. Needless to say there isn't room for all three of us on the couch. Charlie will just sit on the floor playing anyway, but she needed a chair. I was hoping I would find a bean bag chair or something at a yard sale, but wasn't having any luck. Until the other day I bought this beauty for $1.00


I think I was being generous with $1.00 now that I look back on these photos. This thing is nasty! At first I was like, I'll just wash it and call it good. However, when I took it home and showed Jim he said just reupholster it. Of course, I sew...I can do it! I went about taking it apart to make a pattern. Making note that the washing directions on the tag say wipe with a damp cloth. No damp cloth I know could have fixed this baby.


It all came together pretty quickly, I was very happy about that. I called down to Jim when I was almost done to start taking apart the frame as I was just about finished. I bring my completed seat down and the frame is still in one piece. Puzzled I look to see what the problem is. I start to swear. So it turns out that it does not come apart. I thought I saw a few screws for which to take it apart with, but alas they were grommets or something and the whole thing was welded together.

Severely ticked off I take my seat upstairs and begin to add velcro. In the above photo you can see where I cut the seat out of the frame. I did the same thing to the new seat I just cut them like I did and added an extra piece and velcro. It doesn't look nearly as good with the added piece. I was angry and didn't take much care in it. But it was finished. How snuggly does that chair look???

I took it back downstairs and put Charlie in it...she doesn't like it. ARGH! I don't blame her, she cant get out once she's in so maybe in a few more months when she figures out that it's a sweet chair she will like it more. Another good thing was that I made it all from stuff I already had. Don't you love Joann and their remnant specials?

3 comments:
stuff I that made me laugh here:
~"no damp cloth I know..."
~you were angry but still finished project
~Charlie couldn't get out of your snuggly chair
Loved it!
I want more pictures of Charlie! I feel like it's been forever since I've seen a picture of her and she looks so big. Look at all that hair! She's so, so cute . . . but you already know that!
Great job on the chair! I would have cursed at it, given up, and then tossed it in the trash, but that's cause I'm lame like that. I'm impressed with your determination!
Cute chair re-do. I think it's funny that you just happened to have purple-fuzzy-shaggy fabric just "laying around". Only you, Kate ;)Love it!
Post a Comment