Sunday, January 10, 2010

Super Move - Day 5 - December 29th

We had another light drive day. We were lucky to spend these first few days of travel staying with friends. We thought our next friend was in Edmonton, but turns out she was in Calgary instead. So our 6 hour trip turned into 2. Not very good for wanting to get some distance in, but we spent the extra time visiting with Jim's aunt and cousin who came over in the morning to visit us from Bow Island.

It also was the day I had to say goodbye to Dan. Jim's aunt volunteered to watch him for us until we were a little more settled. I was pretty dead set against this, but really it was for the best. Dan would have had a horrible time over the next week traveling, and we will be moving again soon and that is always hard on pets. Aunt Cindy loves cats and wanted to get one, but Uncle Jim wasn't to keen on the idea. I was nervous about letting him stay there, but he made himself comfortable there in a very short amount of time. And although Uncle Jim talked a big talk on not liking cats, he was especially cute with him.

I cried and cried and had the hardest time saying goodbye to him. It was my turn to drive, which was a good thing it kept my mind focused on the road instead of my sadness. Dan is the best cat and I love him to pieces and there is a definite feeling of something missing without him.

That first night I heard him meow twice and I see him all the time here in the apartment...a shadow will brush by in my peripheral and I will think it's him. He would sleep on my feet and I definitely miss the extra weight and warmth on my legs.

I'm so glad Aunt Cindy in on Facebook, here are the photos she posted.

Dan loves hide and seek, he can find the darkest spots.



Glad he is feeling at home.


It reminded me of one of my favorite photos of him..."I'm in a meeting"

I love you pal and can't wait to see you. I'm hoping to get settled soon so I can come back and pick you up. Our family is just not the same without you...at least that is how I feel.

My first thoughts on Canada, your signs suck. How anyone finds anything is beyond me. They have the turn signs AFTER the exit. I also went to the store and couldn't get a cart because they charged $1.oo to just get a cart (i didn't have any change), so you will be sure to bring it back to get your money back. I thought I was taking crazy pills. I didn't end up buying more than I could carry.

Thanks to Gail and her Mom for the great hospitality...we love you!

2011 miles to go!

2 comments:

yo nance said...

You've got to be kidding me...charging for a cart?! Is that the grocery store or some other store? But you DO get your money back, just like at the airports, right? But still a nuisance. At least that is Canada, and not Alaska.

Kate said...

it was the grocery store and the other problem was all the new foods and packaging...i had no idea what things were. if you brought the card back INSIDE you got your money back. No more leaving the cart outside.