Thursday, July 9, 2009

Super Dress Shirt

I found this great men's shirt at the thrift store a few weeks back. It is this grayish color with really thin stripes and GREAT embroidery. I thought it would make a fabulous little girl dress. Tutorial on my friend Dana's site...MADE. The before photo I took was way blurry that I didn't notice til after I cut it all up. Ah well. The after is the most important thing anyway, right?


A few things I didn't do. My little one is only 5 months so this won't quite fit her yet. So I neglected to do the final hemming right now. I also didn't close up the front...I was using black thread, which was probably a mistake and I didn't want to add this big ol' black seam along the front. So, needless to say it's not very pretty sewing and it shows.

I had an issue with putting together the elastic around the neck and totally made it up in the end. Dana, how do you put it together while having the casing go all around...it would end up coming out the top left above the button. I ended up sewing the elastic into the casing and then sealing it off on either end. Very hard to explain, but I'm sure I did it wrong. I also didn't add the belt. The embroidery gathers the shirt in a little bit already plus I cut it kinda skinny. I tried several colors and it just seemed like there was already too much going on. Although I thought a bright yellow would have been cool, but I didn't have one. Plus, I didn't have a girl to try it on for me so I didn't know where the belt would go. I'm afraid it will end up cutting off the starts. So, I'm just going to have to wait and perhaps add one on when she's older.

Since it's not really finished, I would be interested to see if anyone has any other ideas...I welcome them all.

This didn't take long at all and was very fun. I wanted to use the cuffs as sleeves, but had NO idea how to modify the existing pattern to accommodate it. Baby steps, kate...baby steps.

8 comments:

emily jeanne said...

soooo cute! I love your refashioning of old t-shirts! I totally love your ideas and projects! keep 'em comin!

big red 26 said...

Hey man way to go it looks great....honestly if you hadn't said you didn't think it was sewn correctly I never would have thought anything of it it looks great, and I love the yellow idea. So crafty you are.

the Marvelous Mrs. M said...

Super cute! I love it!

annieareyouok said...

great job mama. what a great print! keep up the good work.

dana said...

Lots of sewing going on. yay yay yay!
(I guess I won't duplicate my comment from WR :) )

yo nance said...

Isn't it interesting how you can be so busy and keep having projects, like cheaning and laundry pile up, but you can always make time for the things you really want to do? You should do something you want to do every day. The little dress is cute as can be. And the idea will save you tons of money. (Thanks, Dana.)

dana said...

p.s....your mom is SO right. I may not have time for laundry to be folded (you know, so that we're pulling clean clothes out of the hamper every day to wear)...but I can find time to sew!

Sarah Heder said...

The dress looks AMAZING! I saw this tutorial on Dana's blog awhile ago and I've been wanting to make it for a long time, but I'm incredibly lazy right now. Do you think that has to do with being in the last month of my pregnancy? Anyway, one day! You did good!