Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Super Nightgown

So, I have had this ready to sew for over a year now. I thought it would be so cute to have my baby sleep in my husbands t-shirts. Now that she is 5 months it no longer will fit her. I squeezed her into it so she could wear it once even if it was only for 5 minutes plus to get a photo.

The pattern comes from HERE.

It was a Jimmy Kimmel promo t-shirt that is super soft. I just loved the material. And when I picked her up, I remembered why I wanted to use this shirt. Plus my husbands name is Jim, so I thought it would be funny too.



So here are my findings from this pattern. Since I cut the pattern out a year ago, I no longer have the scraps. I haven't made anything from a pattern for at least 15 years and even then I made a pair of shorts and a bag. So I neglected to cut out 2 sleeves. The pattern says upper sleeve and lower sleeve, the lower sleeve says 1 of 2 but not on the upper sleeve. So since I didn't have any other material to cut another upper sleeve, I took the 2 pieces of lower sleeve and sewed them together to make a second upper sleeve. You can see the extra seem from the back view.

This was one of those things where I was going to finish it if it killed me, even though it doesn't fit. I had a plan oh so long ago and I wasn't going to throw it away...that's just me being lame. Needless to say I didn't take too much time and patience with it so it's pretty rough.

My baby is somewhere in the 14 pounds range and I was still able to put this over her head and the sleeves fit. They hit her around the 3/4" length and make it to about her knees. So it still could be used if made longer. Don't worry about making the upper and lower sleeves...just cut the upper one a bit longer and use as much fabric as you can on the bottom...it can always be hemmed off. The elastic on the bottom was tight, but again it's not meant for her size.

Major major success for me in that no seems ripped when i put it on and took it off. WHEW!!!!

5 comments:

annieareyouok said...

sew cute! get it? .... SEW cute. HA! seriously though braVO for finishing. you can always use it on the next kid whenever that kid may come.

yo nance said...

Such crafty girls I've got. You make me proud...all of you. XOX

K Lovell said...

Very cute Kate. I am IMPRESSED! Wished you lived closer I could use a crafting partner. You would be my motivation.

big red 26 said...

I love it, maybe you can sew it into a bag for her to play with when she gets older?...never let it die!

Sarah Heder said...

I didn't know you were such the super sewer woman! So cute! I've also seen this pattern online and have it marked to make one day. But again, I am lame, and that "one day" has not come yet. But now I know who to talk to if I have any questions when I finally do make it. I love your model! She is so adorable!