
Ok, this is for all you cloth diaper haters. I poo poo on your negativity!!!! Obviously, you have no idea what you're talking about because if you knew how sweet the cloth diapers these days were you might join in on my bandwagon or at least give me props of encouragement! But since you don't let me fill you in on my research. Did that come off too harsh? Ah, well...read between the lines of my pregnant emotions and feel my sarcasm.
A few months ago, I was at a baby shower and someone mentioned that they used cloth diapers for their baby. I thought...seriously? Memories of changing my baby sisters diapers came rushing through my mind. My little hands immersed in a toilet of poo as I helped change their diapers, Elizabeth...I'm talking to you. Nasty, I'm thinking. But she begins to explain that by using them her children never got diaper rash and were potty trained a year earlier. Not to mention the savings. Ok, hmmmmmm...let's do a bit of research.
I find out that there are these magic all in one diapers that are one size fits all...or at least they've made them so the sizes adjust as the child grows so you don't have to buy a million different sizes. Rad, I think...that sounds good. Also instead of immersing them in toilet water, they have these flush able liners. All you have to do is peal the liner off into the toilet and voila, ready to be washed. I'm not totally oblivious to the times this doesn't work so I will have a spray thing that attaches to the toilet to spray the crap off. Ok, so it goes in the pail to be washed. No big deal...I'm going to be doing laundry everyday anyway, what's a few more loads a week?
Now, because they are cloth they don't absorb the pee as much so instead of having your kid walk around in a wet diaper for hours you actually have to change them a little more frequently. This is why they don't get the diaper rash. The disposable ones have the magic absorbing stuff in it to pull the pee away from the skin...cloth does not. So you have to change them more, but since I don't know any different it doesn't really matter to me.
I am not a "green" person. This has nothing to do with the environment for me, so I'm not anti disposable. I'd rather not carry around a poopy diaper in my bag so if I'm out, at church or at Disneyland or something I might use a disposable, I don't know...we'll see. I also have been given several newborn diapers so I plan to use all those up first, no need for them to go to waste. I figure this will give me a few weeks of getting used to the kid before I implement a new process.
Here are my diapers...
You can't really see from this picture, but this is showing how one diaper can change sizes. Sure, they will probably be pretty bulky in the early time. But buying just one that will last for years is awesome! For more info visit http://www.bumgenius.com/
Since now you all feel bad for bashing on my cloth diapers, even those of you who did it in secret and didn't post a comment. You can make it up to me by visiting my registry at http://www.wildflowerdiapers.com/
Oh, not that I need to prove myself to those who think I won't last...but I'm not oblivious to the fact that it won't work. Believe me, I won't quit because it's too hard, but I would quit if it's not worth it and the kid is suffering because of it.
11 comments:
I think it's totally noble of you to use cloth diapers, even if your reasoning is not for the environment the outcome will be. I often feel like a schmuck for all the disposables that I've contributed to the landfills. But, I too, remember the old school cloth diapers, as I am the oldest of six, which was pretty much the option when we had our first and I couldn't put myself through that when there is the easier alternative. Now that we're diapering our last we'll just stick to what we know. But you go girl!
You are so funny! I didn't mean to bash your cloth diapers, I guess they've come a long way baby! I will suggest that you buy the scented disposable diaper bags (the $ store sells them). They smell good and you put your not-so-smell-good diapers in them to dispose (or in your case, transport) so they don't smell. Genius! Let me know how they work out!
As long as you made it known that you were not doing this for the green movement I'm in. I will not bash your choice.
I'm with you Kirst.. I think we'll be asking for TRIPLE PLASTIC BAGGING please.. when we shop for food and other things.. just to keep our "Carbon Footprint" alive and well.. when we begin to use the Clothe Diapers....
I have never been into the cloth diaper thing. I've never had the desire. My Mom did the old school cloth diapers with 5 out of 6 of her kids. If you want to hear someone tell you how amazing they are, you need to talk to my sister-in-law. She uses them and she LOVES them!
Kate- Thanks! I am always wondering what the price of diapers is going to be with 2! You have given me something to think about and I am very interested in learning more! Thanks for the enlightenment! Hope you are feeling and doing well! Brooke!
Don't mess with the pregnant lady, y'all! ;) It's true, cloth diapers have come a long way, and I say use whatever works for you and your baby. Good choice on another registry, by the way. See, you've got it all figured out! Love ya'! Hang in there on the upcoming move!
The more I hear about it, the more I wish I maybe would have done it. They are so cute too. I bet they will make for really cute picures. I hate the way the disposable ones look. Go YOU!!!
you tell 'em mama! whatever works for you. diapers are a pain no matter what you use, but if you tell me your kid never gets a blow out i will switch right away. love you!
I think you choosing to use cloth diapers shows a- that you are more of a pioneer than most people and b- that you really care, not that using regular diapers is somehow jaded, but I think your choice to use cloth will probably take more time and effort and I think those little details can be seen as a labor of love for your child, and in the long run you will most likely save some serious Benjamin's that you can put toward better use for your child. Good luck! Let me know how they go.
I wish I had been courageous enough to used cloth. More power to ya! I think you're going to be a great mom!
Post a Comment