Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Not so Super

I'm beginning to get the "where are you registered" question. And we just haven't gotten around to that part. Shower dates are beginning to get tossed around so we decided to take the plunge and visit Babies-R-Us for the first time. Well, anxiety hit the first step through the automatic doors. We received our "suggestion booklet" and bar code gun and started walking around. I was ready to get right back into the car within 5 minutes of just the Binky section. We quickly didn't zap anything and headed further into the realm of baby land...not to be confused with the happiest place on earth (way different)! I was completely freaked out by just the car seat selection...I have no idea what I want let alone what I need. Jim doesn't want to have anyone foot the bill for the stroller so that section was avoided also. So I think by this time we have an ear thermometer on our little zap gun, and I think I already have one of those at home. Oy, so sheets...let's look at sheets. I don't need a matching set so we just select a few extra solid white ones, ok check. Zap a few blankets...ok I think we're done. Blankets, sheets and a thermometer...perfect! I scramble for my "booklet" what about clothes. Well, I have a few already...but let's get some more, a few socks an extra onsie. Am I missing anything, let's brave back over to the car seats and swing stuff. I'm trying to avoid the all pink kid cause there will hopefully more children on the way, so I select a neutral pack and play and swing. Pick a random car seat and decide to brave the bottle section. Jim is zapping a few random things along the way...I am totally zoned out by this time and am not paying attention. We pick a few bottles and I think some Binky's...and Jim thinks it will be fun to get a sippy cup. Don't they use those like at 2 years or something? Well, at least we'll be ready. I'm so curious now, to look online and see what we actually got...we are so screwed.
We finish and walk across the parking lot to Pat & Oscars for a very late dinner...I begin to cry in my soda as I am feeling the overwhelming enormous task that is registering! I have no idea what I'm doing let alone what I'm supposed to get and if I'm getting the right thing. So, I have come to the conclusion that my registry will be scaled down a bit and I will just go and get stuff as I need it. It's just too much to think about and my non baby mind just can't take it.
The one thing I do know is that I want to use cloth diapers. So THAT is all registered for, but apparently there are several people who have no faith in my desire for this and there is an office pool at Jim's work on how long I will last. Freak people...really?

8 comments:

Jeanne said...

I love it... I know I will have so much fun getting things for Charlie. Now Jim not for you or Kate just Charlie... Grandmothers get to do that you know. Love ya

Kim said...

Don't let Babies R Us overwhelm you. All the baby really needs are diapers & food. I would recommend purchasing a lot of receiving blankets or you'll be doing laundry nonstop. My thoughts on cloth diapers...I'll give you at least a month before you decide to go "anti" green diaper person. Some things are just meant to be thrown away! Have fun.

annieareyouok said...

Oh mama Kate ... it's O-tay! Babies don't really "need" anything right away anyway except YOU! Never fear ... we'll get this registry thing worked out.

Kathy said...

Okay, so i just checked out your registry...you did great! No stress, girl! Diapers, wipes, bum cream, a car seat, and a place to sleep. It's all good. :) Oh, and Lansinoh...which you have on there, so it's all good! I guess a few onesies...but naked babies are the best. ;)

Sondra Donofrio Clark said...

Dear Kate, It's wonderful to see your conversion from being a non-baby person into being a terrific mother. You're better off going into this not believing you have all the answers or being overconfident. You'll do fine with or without the right number or color of onesies or blankets...but Kate--seriously..."real" diapers? We want in the office pool; we’ll take two days.

K Lovell said...

Kate you are too cute. I wish I was there to help you out now, and when that baby arrives. Don't stress things are going to be fine. All that cute little girl will need is you, your boob or a bottle. Okay maybe a diaper or two, a sleeper and a blanket. You know I am only a call away.

erin said...

you crack me up. isn't the baby registry part suppose to be the fun part? :) however, i have been to babies r us with my friends and they have TOO many options, making it very confusing. good luck.

Sarah Heder said...

Kate, I felt the same way when we registered for our first baby. I had not clue what to get and it was overwhelming. You'll learn what you need when the baby come and figure it out from talking to other Moms. I like breaking down and crying every now and then. I think we all need those releases of emotion!!!