Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Super Foley

My dream job of all dream job's is to be a Foley Artist. These are the folks who add the ambient sound into films and televisions shows. The footsteps, rustling of leaves, clothing movement, bones breaking, etc. My favorite part, in fact the only reason I would go to Universal Studios is to participate in the Foley part of the tour.

The only problem is that there isn't a school, there aren't jobs and there are probably only 50 people who actually do it. That is an exaggeration, but there are just a random handful of people who do this for a living. I know this, therefore the only way for me to have a chance at this for a career is to meet one of these rarities and cross my fingers that they will let me watch them and learn how it's done.

So if ever I meet someone new I will let them know that this is my dream job, hoping that one day I will run across a best friend of a friend of a friend's husband. Wouldn't ya know it, after 4 1/2 years of searching I get a call that a friend of a friends husband's best friend is a Foley and I get to meet them.

Last night I spent my most exciting 3 hours of living in California at Technicolor with my two new best friends watching and actually doing Foley work. I was recorded and everything. It was even more fun than my 10 minutes of talking to Quentin Tarantino as he played pin ball...sorry Jim.

5 comments:

Jim said...

we may be in trouble.....
I might have to stay home with the baby..

dana said...

I agree. Sounds like a totally cool job.

Sarah Heder said...

This is awesome! It's so rare that someone gets to fulfill a dream of theirs. Honestly! I think this is pretty amazing. I'm curious how it will all work out. Can you just keep "training" and then eventually someone would hire you and then there you are --- a foley artist! Maybe being a stay-at-home dad for Jim wouldn't be such a bad thing!

Our Micro-Preemie organization said...

I know you are not from California, but a while ago at the movies, there used to be this commercial they would play during the previews that was made by the Los Angeles Times. In in, they would show a short video about the work of Foley Artists and how they made sounds. I ALWAYS thought that was the coolest thing!

How exciting that you got to do that! After seeing how it is done, I always have to tell myself that when I see people punching each other or bones being broken, that it is just the work of a Foley artist who is making it sound so real!

erin said...

that would be a freakin sweet job!! i'm jealous.