Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Super 8


So Prop. 8. I haven't really gotten into this much on my blog...but I need to now. Over the weekend we were in San Diego and I was so proud of how the city was attacking Prop. 8. There were signs on homes everywhere and bumper stickers on cars. It was so refreshing. We found ourselves cheering every time we saw a Yes on Prop. 8 sitcker or sign.

Here in L.A. on the other hand is a different story. I was afraid to put the sticker on my car and our signs just barely came in. I did see them on the grass of a few friends homes so thank you for putting yourself out there.

We are all entitled to our opinions, but once you get nasty any opinion you have is null and void. I no longer care what you have to say and want no part of listening. So when a guy pulled up to me last night and flipped me off makes me want to make an even stronger stand. Why the intolerance just because of a difference of opinion? He didn't have a "no on prop 8 sticker". If being mean and nasty to someone who happens to have a different opinion is the stand you want to make then I no longer want to listen to what you have to say.

I did have a moment of, "did I just cut him off or was I on my cell phone?"...but then I remembered I was stopped at a stop light and was just sitting there. He might have been angry at Toyota's though, you never know...he sped off in a hissy fit before we could resolve what he was so upset about.

Ridiculous!

11 comments:

Jim said...

It makes me sad to have you out there and not be able to protect you. But I do know that this Nasty way of showing how you feel will only get worse. when you're doing something right you should always expect to get blow back. so here it is..
We should get a bumper sticker that after Nov. that says. "you should have spent your money on a new home or something Brad Pitt"
(is that nasty?)
maybe. anyway, feel good for every bird you get baby. and don't confront them, just Love-em..

and maybe he was pissed you were eating Chinese food and talking on the phone, and reading my blog all while driving.. How many lanes were you taking up?

Kate said...

I forgot about the chinese food...that's what it was! I should never use chop sticks when I drive, it makes people so angry.

Jim said...

people must think this is the only way we talk to each other.. so sad..

can you pick up some frosted flakes on your way home?

I totally feel like frosted Flakes..

Kate said...

Sure, i noticed that the frosted mini wheats were gone this morning too...so sad. Do we only eat things that are frosted? Powdered doughnuts sound good too.

Jim said...

if you bring powdered donuts home I'll be on the couch Naked..

Kate said...

powdered doughnuts it is!!!!

Anonymous said...

I was laughing out loud reading your comments to each other. However, now I have an image in my mind that I didn't need:)

Kate, I totally agree with you. It's such a double standard when it comes to equal rights. It seems like equal rights mean that religious people are wrong. It horrible for anyone to treat others in a disrespectful way. I also feel like LA is unaccepting of views different than Hollywood's. Good for San Diego though!

Pam said...

it's not even about equal rights, the already get that in the state of caifornia. it like claire thompson (don't know if you know her) said on her blog, they want to redefine pb&j. they want to take out the j and have pb on both sides but still insist that everyonr calls it pb&j. i thought it was a good analogy. anyway, your brave for putting the sticker on your car, i'm afraid i'll get keyed of something!

Sarah Heder said...

Can you and Jim just do a post of you guys writing comments back and forth to each other? You guys are very entertaining.

And, you're brave! Seriously. I agree with everything you said. It's so hard. I don't know if I'd be brave enough to put something in my lawn or on my car. I think that's really sad and pathetic of me.

Anonymous said...

I had my sign stolen from my front lawn shortly after sunset the other night and two others I know had theirs pilfered, too. I hate to judge, but it appears that those who claim to want tolerance don't seem to have much for others.

BTW, the church's argument for Prop 8 is NOT mine. We have the same position, not the same argument. If I get time, I'll share.

Jim said...

A Catholic Church had 300 signs stolen from with-in the courtyard..
getting ready for Distribution..

Thus my New Blog begins..