Monday, July 21, 2008

Super Quilt

Jim's sister, Wendie is a fabulous quilter. She even has one of those monster quilting machines. The ones that are like 10 feet wide. It's fantastic.

While we were living in Utah, she came to visit. I told her that I wanted her to help me with a quilt. Well, she was only in town for a few days and she took me to the fabric store and helped me pick out some great material. My wedding colors were green and purple so I wanted something with those colors in it. At this point it was probably like only 4 years into our marriage. So over the next day, we cut and sewed and cut and sewed as fast as we could. My memory is a little fuzzy, but I even think we finished the top and she was going to take it home and finish it for me. But what I think happened is she left and I spent the next several days piecing it together. Eventually the quilt got to her in Arizona. Cut to 2 years ago.

Wendie has 5 kids and seriously doesn't have time to do her own quilts let alone little ole mine. So a few years ago I sent for the quilt. I thought, hey I can do it myself. So I get it back and I say, I don't want to use a sewing machine, how much cooler would it be if I hand stitched it together. Ya, right. I got a big circle thing and got about 6 inches done. Cut to Monday.

I just spent the weekend with my super crafty cousin and she was like, aw just put that thing through your machine already. So Monday, I busted out the old quilt and go to finishing it off.

That was a longer story than it needed to be. I probably should have just said, check out the quilt I made this week and you would have all been super impressed. If you look real close and really not that close there are major mistakes, but it is finally done...6 years later.

Whew...it is the perfect couch quilt. Just enough to take a nap with. Thanks Wendie, I love it!




Even though I picked the fabric out forever ago, I'm happy to say that I'm still pleased with the colors and pattern choice.

2 comments:

dana said...

Congrats! I've never made a quilt and for as much as I sew...I think quilting looks hard and tedious. I'm impressed with your 6-year effort!

Sarah Heder said...

I really am impressed. It looks amazing! It looks like something I would find at Anthropologie, which I hope is a compliment to you because I love their bedding and quilts!