(Steve took this of us with his iphone...going way too fast)So this past weekend Jim and I and 3 guys from ABC went to San Simeon for a few days. Two of the guys Jeff & Steve were already on a ride and me, Jim and Brad met up with them on their way back. It was killer hot last week and I was not looking forward to the ride, but Jim assured me that it wasn't going to be hot. Well, he was so wrong. The weather actually changed the day before, it was supposed to be great weather but ended up being super hot.
It doesn't take much to keep my spirits up though, give me an icee and a pocketful of everlasting gob-stoppers and I will be happy.
We left early on Saturday and by the time we got to Santa Maria I was on fire and so was Brad's bike. He was having difficulties with it and we took it to a dealer, who couldn't duplicate the problem but eventually said it was vapor lock. While we were waiting for the diagnostic there was a Harley dealership next door. I finally found a bike that I could put both my feet flat on the ground. Still didn't make me want to get one...

until I chatted it up with some old biker dudes and this one old guy had a sportster with a side-car. It was awesome! That is totally the bike for me. And you don't even need a biker license for it. Sold!
We made it to San Simeon and went to Hearst castle. This place was crazy, built forever ago on the top of a mountain. We took a shuttle to the top and had a tour. The place was so big that they couldn't show you everything in one tour...so we only got to see 1/4 of it. Plus they make more money if you have to come back four times. Of course it happened to be a million degrees that day and of course they had to show us the two swimming pools. Curses! That was so rough. Also this monster of a castle had no A/C, how did those people survive? Oh, that's right they got to go swimming. Freak!
Doesn't it make you want to pretend to be blind and just fall in? Or accidentally trip, it was torture.
On our way back from the castle we stopped off to see the elephant seals, crazy. We were so close to them. I wanted so bad to go and peal their skin. I bet it would come off in sheets too.

The next morning we headed for home. We had two stop off's first. One was to Jocko's, a great hole in the wall restaurant that gives you ginormous food servings. Awesome! Next stop was to this old stagecoach stop in the middle of the mountains where hundreds of bikes come together to listen to some music and check out each others bikes. It was cool!

Jim, Jeff, Brad and Steve
and then...
BMW, Suzuki, Yamaha & Harley

It was a fantastic few days. I'm starting to get into this whole bike thing. The company was fabulous and although I felt a bit like a fifth wheel without any wheels the guys were very cool to me. My favorite parts were driving along the water and through the grape orchards. Just beautiful country we have here and a bit of a shame that it's taken 4 1/2 years for me to see some of it.

It doesn't take much to keep my spirits up though, give me an icee and a pocketful of everlasting gob-stoppers and I will be happy.We left early on Saturday and by the time we got to Santa Maria I was on fire and so was Brad's bike. He was having difficulties with it and we took it to a dealer, who couldn't duplicate the problem but eventually said it was vapor lock. While we were waiting for the diagnostic there was a Harley dealership next door. I finally found a bike that I could put both my feet flat on the ground. Still didn't make me want to get one...

until I chatted it up with some old biker dudes and this one old guy had a sportster with a side-car. It was awesome! That is totally the bike for me. And you don't even need a biker license for it. Sold!
We made it to San Simeon and went to Hearst castle. This place was crazy, built forever ago on the top of a mountain. We took a shuttle to the top and had a tour. The place was so big that they couldn't show you everything in one tour...so we only got to see 1/4 of it. Plus they make more money if you have to come back four times. Of course it happened to be a million degrees that day and of course they had to show us the two swimming pools. Curses! That was so rough. Also this monster of a castle had no A/C, how did those people survive? Oh, that's right they got to go swimming. Freak!
On our way back from the castle we stopped off to see the elephant seals, crazy. We were so close to them. I wanted so bad to go and peal their skin. I bet it would come off in sheets too.
The next morning we headed for home. We had two stop off's first. One was to Jocko's, a great hole in the wall restaurant that gives you ginormous food servings. Awesome! Next stop was to this old stagecoach stop in the middle of the mountains where hundreds of bikes come together to listen to some music and check out each others bikes. It was cool!
and then...
BMW, Suzuki, Yamaha & Harley
It was a fantastic few days. I'm starting to get into this whole bike thing. The company was fabulous and although I felt a bit like a fifth wheel without any wheels the guys were very cool to me. My favorite parts were driving along the water and through the grape orchards. Just beautiful country we have here and a bit of a shame that it's taken 4 1/2 years for me to see some of it.
3 comments:
Sounds like a totally fun trip. At first I was thinking, yea, it's hot...but don't you have a/c in your car? duh! You were on bikes! Yes, Icee's and any convenience store make a road trip better.
And I've been to the castle too and seriously...that pool is brutal. SO brutal.
Crazy looking elephant seals.
I think you are living out my fantasy life. A small part of me has always wanted to be a biker chick. I think next time I see you, I am going to have to get a little more information about how that all started and how you met your husband. Sounds like and looks like it was a cool trip!
Kate great post I loved it. What a fun thing to do. Whitt keeps telling me he wants to do something like that. When we went to Mount Rushmore last summer we saw several couple bikers with their side cars it was pretty cool. I am just such a freak when it comes to being hot. I don't think I could do it. Thanks for commenting on my blog I'm glad someone reads it. Hope to see ya some time this summer.
Post a Comment