Monday, May 11, 2009

Super Road Trip


My post begins several weeks ago when I decided to (very last minute) take a trip to Tucson to visit my family. My brother was in town from the Caribbean and he only has a few short weeks in town. So when he's there you sorta got to take advantage of it. So Jim very hesitantly let me go...with Charlie in tow on a very long road trip. The first stop went without a hitch, she started to cry 2 minutes before I was planning on exiting. But let's just say that I need more practice because I ended up in a Burger King bathroom...peeing on the toilet with Charlie breastfeeding at the same time. Not my finest moment. I would do a quick feeding and diaper change as fast as I could so we could then proceed to Phoenix without stopping. Well...not so much, we stopped at a rest stop mostly for me. Did another quick change and a bottle. Off to Phoenix. None of my siblings had seen Charlie yet, so I was going to get all of them in one trip. So great!!! We hit Phoenix with perfect time to meet Elizabeth for lunch at work.



Did another quick change and a bottle and off to Tucson. Well, we hadn't gone 10 minutes and she started to cry. I see a Sonic sign and get excited, I figure that will be a great place to pull over. I exit and drive FOREVER and can't find it. Meanwhile she has stopped crying and I get back on the road. This has taken precious minutes out of my time and wind up having to stop 30 minutes later. Do another quick change and a bottle and off to Tucson. The last HOUR she is crying for 5 minutes and then asleep for 5 minutes. It was excruciating. My arm is almost dislocating to reach her and she is squeezing my finger as hard as she can. Poor baby! We get to my house and she has calmed. My mom is outside on her way out and girlfriend is all smiles. I couldn't believe it. She was screaming her head off for the last hour and all of a sudden she sees grandma and all is well. I take her in, thinking she is dying of starvation or has a full load but no, happy as a clam as she gets held by my brother for the first time.



Later that day my sister, Jane comes over and kisses her to death...


The next day, Annie comes over...who also has a new baby.


It was so cool to have all my siblings see her before she gets too old.

I started the trip at 7am and drove in around 4:30...whew! I didn't make her get in her car seat at all the next day...or did I, I can't remember.

The trip was great, played cards, stared at our babies, went bowling,



had Eegee's, played more cards, watched my brother pack (due to weight restrictions, I watched him pack and unpack...get on the scale, pack and unpack and get back on the scale) he did this for like an hour, but we talked the whole time so it was cool, went garage sale-ing...my dad got this...


it's an ice sculpture in the shape of a basket...or hat if you're my dad, in case you don't have ice carving skills. You fill it with water, freeze, then you have to cut it open. It's a one time use item, but it was only a buck...sweet! I hope I get invited to THAT party!

had more Eegee's, played a cool word game called banana-something, visited with Crystal (my best friend from High School)

went out for Mexican,


This Mariachi band was soooooo loud, we couldn't even talk to each other and here is Charlie...

Didn't even phase her.

Patches making sure Grandpa feeds her right.

And Charlie just hangin out.




and then got some Eegee's to take home with me.

The trip back went better than the trip to. I think I shaved an hour off, so it was great!

Missing Elizabeth and the other cousins, but here is Devon...isn't he just the cutest! I can't wait for Charlie to be able to hold her head up and smile on command.

Super fun trip...although, looking back I don't see one picture of Charlie with a smile on her face, she seems totally dazed and confused...hope she had a good time.

love you all!!!!!

8 comments:

Kim said...

How fun! The more road trips you have the sooner she'll adjust and she'll be a Road Trip Champ. What a fun time with the family.

Sarah Heder said...

I love seeing my friends with their siblings. I love seeing the resemblances.

Charlie is adorable! I love that her tongue is hanging out of her mouth in 2 or 3 of the pictures. So, so cute! And I have to give you big props for making the trip all by yourself with little Charlie. Glad you survived!

yo nance said...

I remember teasing you about the fact that since you are a stay-at-home mom now, you could just scoop Charlie up and drive over to Tucson to be here when Ben was in town. I know I mentioned it several times, but honestly never dreamed that you would do it alone. But you are my middle child...my adventurous one, my roll-with-the-punches one; I shouldn't have been surprised. We were ecstatic that you came and that everyone got to see Charlie while she is still so young. We all had so much fun with you both. It was great for you to have one-on-one time with each of us, and we all really appreciated your great efforts and Charlie's being such a good sport...for the most part. Glad the ride home was better than the ride over. The main thing is I think you realized that it's something you can do again. Can't wait! Precious cargo!

Kathy said...

Brave girl, Kate! Look at you being all pro already and using the bathroom and nursing all at the same time! :) You look amazing, and she is so adorable!

dana said...

sounds like a HORRIBLE drive! but glad she was happy once you got there.
And cool/fun to see you with all your siblings. Casey will be jealous that you went to Egees like 3 times!

annieareyouok said...

yeah for katy! i am so proud of you for making the drive and for being such a good sport. you are such a cute mama! love all the pics except that one that makes me look terrible, but other than that i love it. loves! ;)

findingbenjamin said...

I can't believe the first pic of Charlie with her tongue out is not 'photo shopped'. SO perfect! Amazing timing.

big red 26 said...

Thanks for stopping on your way to Tucson it was great to hold and meet little miss Charlie Belle soooo cute. It was great to catch up with you I wish it was longer. Thanks again I love you!