Thursday, September 11, 2008

Super Scare

I suppose It's appropriate to talk about the momentous September 11th attack today. I get very solemn thinking about the day and how scary it was for me and my family. Not to mention how scary it was for everyone else. I figured I'd take this time to document my day 7 years ago.

I was on my way to work at The Home Depot in Salt Lake. I was frustrated because all the radio stations were talking. Although I am getting to like talk radio now, I hated it back then. So I wasn't paying attention to what they were saying...I just kept flipping the station over and over trying to find some tunes. Plus I don't know if there is anyway to describe the magnitude of what was going on over the radio. So, I get to work and sit at my computer and begin to "work". I worked with 4 girls in what used to be a closet that we turned into an office. It was quite cramped, but we loved it. People kept coming in giving us updates on what was going on from the break room TV. But again, I had no idea what really was happening. People kept calling in sick and I seemed to be oblivious to it all. At one point I think I went to the break room to see what was happening on TV and then went back to my desk. It was at that moment that I understood. Later on in the day I get a phone call from my aunt that my parents and sister were "OK". WHAT?!@? I had totally forgotten that my parents took my little sister to New York for their annual US Open trip. I burst into tears, my Mom called me a little later telling me the story of their morning. It was silly, but I was so grateful to have been as oblivious as I was in the morning. I couldn't imagine going through those hours of knowing they were there and not knowing how they were.

What was most scary for me, and them probably was that they were planning on seeing the towers that day along with the Statue of Liberty. I guess my sister was a little stubborn that morning and said she wanted to see the Statue of Liberty first and the towers later. I think they got up a bit late and were in the subway on their way to the Statue when the subways were closed down and they had to walk back to their hotel. At least I think that's how it happened. I know it's a long shot to think that anything could have happened to them that day, but it was all a little too close for comfort.

Walking in to work today was a bit gloomy, fitting I thought. There were a ton of cars not there and a lot of people either late or taking the day off. It is cloudy, gray and a little chilly.

2 comments:

Sarah Heder said...

It's so true, Kate. I remember exactly where I was that day that it happened. It's something I think we'll never forget and our children will be asking us some day in the future about it.

By the way, we missed you last night at Project Runway. Hope you're doing okay!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is really scary! It does hit home so much more for you. I'm glad they were ok. I didn't have anyone in New York that day, but I still felt the need to call my brother and parents to see if they were all ok in Utah and Colorado.