Sunday, September 7, 2008

Super Rice

Ok, so when I was in my first year of college I had a friend who had just got married. She was so cute and married a hottie. I was very jealous of them. Anyway, she came to me one day telling me how she had to call her mom because she didn't know how to make rice. I was like, lame...come on, you don't know how to make rice? I remember feeling this ridiculous amount of pride that she didn't know how to make rice and I could. So petty and adolescent.

Cut to 12 years later, a few days ago my rice cooker went kaput and I panicked. I didn't mention in my previous story that I only knew how to make rice in a rice cooker. Although, I didn't call my mom...I just went online and found out how to make it on the stove. I was quickly put in my place and remembered my pride from years ago as I tried to make rice on the stove.

I'm happy to report that I was able to make my rice without a rice cooker and it was delicious. So light and fluffy.


The rice does look a little funny cause it's two different shades. I had a little leftover in my Tupperware when I refilled it with a new bag...so it's a bit two toned.

I also call my mom for every little cooking thing. That's what mom's are for. This experience has made me feel bad for my previous thoughts, but happy that I have grown up a bit and am not so ugly in my thoughts of others.

2 comments:

Jim said...

if you read this Nance, please do not feel like we need another rice cooker.. now that Kate has learned how to make rice without the extra equipment.. we have room for dishes and things!! sweeeet!

dana said...

I've also made fun of friends who use rice cookers. As if rice is that difficult?
Of course, everytime I make it on the stove it turns out watery or dry every time. So uh, yea....who's the idiot now. Me! Me!

btw, I could watch BTTF anytime, anyplace. Probably best movie of all time.