Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Super Northern Lights

Ok, I had never heard of Northern Lights before I came here and man was I missing out. I still am not sure if this is a daily occurrence or if it's a bit more rare. A few weeks ago, we get a text from Devon that the Northern Lights are out. We don't see the text until the next morning and we have missed it. We did see a little bit of it that night before we went to bed, but it just looked like a long white cloud. Kinda like the Milky Way. Anyway we were bummed.

Last night at about midnight we decide to stay up and just sorta wait to see what would happen. We saw the same white long cloud, we get bundled up and just stood outside. It was almost pitch black and then it happened...the most magical thing I have ever experienced. We live kind of at the end of a cliff and the stars are always out and soooo shiny. You know when you live in a big city and then decide one day to go camping and one night while you're camping you look up and you can't remember the last time you saw so many stars. There are no buildings around just trees and you can see for miles in all directions. That's what it's like for us everyday, and it is glorious. Now imagine that and seeing the Northern Lights.

Back to the lights. The lights start to move and then there are more and all of a sudden we are standing directly under 5 white rainbows. We run back and forth from the deck to the driveway, because it looks different from all angles and the cabin is in the way. Then there is this beam of light that resembles a huge spotlight that stretches across the entire sky. We stood on the porch in silence and our mouths gaping open and Jim says, "I'm going to cry." I was already crying at this point. Words can't describe the sight, I said to Jim that it made me think of what the Heaven's will look like opening. I can only imagine what the first people to see this thought, it was fascinating. Then the light would change and we would run to the back of the house.

Seriously, the most breathtaking thing I have ever seen and cannot wait for more. I found this video on youtube, and the women speaking (for as crazy as she might sound) was almost our exact conversation and experience last night. I'm afraid it doesn't do it justice for experiencing it in real time, but it's a start. It's about 5 minutes.








10 comments:

Kim said...

Super cool!

Unknown said...

This is one of the things that I want to see before I die. I teared up just reading about it. Awesome! Totally amazing, God's creation.

the Marvelous Mrs. M said...

Love it! Seeing the Northern lights has moved up my list of priority trips :)
The lady in the video looks and sounds a lot like Joanna Lumley, the British actress from Absolutely Fabulous and who plays one of the aunts in James and the Giant Peach.

dana said...

that is really really cool. I got chills just reading your post. I hope I can see the "Lights" one day.

annieareyouok said...

So cool! I hope to see that someday ... maybe when we visit ... someday ;)

yo nance said...

Mystical...Magical...I'm sure everyone tears up when they see the Northern Lights. This is one way God shows His great love for us. The Northern Lights have to be on my Bucket List. XOX

Crystal Pistol said...

I totally got chills too! Wow! Thanks for sharing. Spectacular!

kelly said...

That was amazing. The way you described it and what it was like seeing it, and then that video.
Amazing.

Sarah Heder said...

Beautiful, amazing . . . these words don't even begin to describe what the "lights" look like. I got really emotional watching that video, so I can only imagine what you and Jim must have been feeling watching it in person. Absolutely just like heaven!

Les Ann said...

I loved your description! That was beautiful. I have to remember now not to take them for granted after 17 years. They are still one of God's miracles.