Friday, August 20, 2010

Super Spy...it's not what you think.

Ok, as you all know I am obsessed with things oversized and teeny tiny.

Several years ago a friend showed me the cutest little eye spy game. She put bird seed in an empty water bottle and filled it with tiny toys for the finding. I, at the time didn't have any kids but still found the genius in this item. I quickly bought a bunch of tiny things and made a crap load of these things. I sold them at my mom's boutique and gave them away as Christmas presents.

This was seriously like 7 years ago, but I have been unable to part with my tiny toys. When we came here to Alaska, I very hesitantly gave my precious minis to a friend. I did however keep 2. I have a kid, I was going to do something with them one day...SOMETHING!!

When I made them awhile ago I made 2 different versions...one with pictures (25 items to find) and one with words (50 items to find).

I made the first one to look like a pretend purse...complete with leather exterior.



It came out cuter in my head, but I love it anyway. I might need to take off the pearl handle, it makes it a bit top heavy.


The second one I made it into a block, wishing I had more acrylic pellets but alas there's always something that you want changed. And since there are no more mini's in my inventory they will have to do. I'm just glad they are out of their plastic bags.



This was the first time I made a block, and I gotta say it was a little harder than I thought. But, now I can't wait to make more blocks now that I've figured out all the kinks. I made the whole block out of plastic and overlayed the fabric on top. This made it very difficult to turn inside out and seal off. I'm sure if it was just fabric and stuffing it would be a breeze, but I always have to make things more difficult. I also should have made note that I was making it clear and trimmed the extra strings inside...whoops.


Here is a photo before I had finished the block so in her right hand is the other set in a plastic bag. She was a little ticked at first when they were out of their bag, she couldn't get to them as easily.


5 comments:

Wendie said...

I am SO IN LOVE WITH YOUR BABY. She is soooooooo cute beautiful. Great job on the I spys. fun fun fun fun fun

Jeanne said...

What great ideas Kate... and Charlie gets to play with all your wonderful ideas come to life... How lucky is that?????

yo nance said...

Way to bump it up a notch! And your model is so cute...can't get enough of pictures of her. XOX

annieareyouok said...

Very cute idea. I love it that Charlie Belle is carrying her purse like,"Yeah, this is my purse. Wanna play?" So cute.

Claire said...

That's such a cute idea making it into a purse! :)