Friday, September 18, 2009

Super Insult

This is one for the books. I had totally forgotten about this, until my mom called me today and the conversation went something like this...

Mom: Did you see the status your brother put on facebook about Christmas trees?
Me: No, the last status I remember was the shark attack where he kite surfs
Mom: Let me find it, cause he's funnier than me and I want to read exactly what "he"said
Me: (laughing inside because I have already looked on my facebook while we're talking and it's not there)
Mom: Maybe it was an email?
Me: (we sit there for a few more minutes while she's trying to find it, finally she decides to just tell me what he said)
Mom: He sent me an email I guess that wanted to know which of the family members was told..."I hope your Christmas tree falls down and all your ornaments break!"
Me: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! (she continues to remind me, that it was me who had this experience 12 years ago)

So, 12 years ago I was working for UPS in the call center. I was in the department of lost and really lost. We would be assigned certain tracking numbers and we would try to find the ones that go astray...We would speak to the customers on a daily basis and be in contact with the shipping centers and so on. It was a horrible job, mostly people so upset that their WEDDING DRESS was lost and the wedding is in 2 days. OY! It was rough. Did you know that when a package is lost the contents get itemized and categorized and put in this ginormous warehouse. If I was looking for something I would type in as much information as I could...size of wedding dress, what kind of beading, what computer brand, serial number. If yours couldn't be found we might try to give you a close duplicate. Anyway, the stuff that doesn't get claimed gets auctioned off after a certain period of time has passed. I always wanted to go to one of those auctions...you wouldn't know what was inside, but you would bid on storage units...not just a box. Cool eigh?

Anyway, I obviously wasn't able to help this one lady and she yelled..."I hope your Christmas tree falls down and all your ornaments break!" Ouch! I can see myself crying that day, taking it very personally...although I don't remember crying. But now, I just laugh my "A" off...what a high-larious insult.

She didn't know how bad of an insult this was to me and my family...with my mom's million trees! These were taken several years ago, hundreds of ornaments have been added to the collection. I wish there were people in the photos so you could really see the scale, these are mostly like 8' trees. Mom, please lend a hand in your comment and let us know the latest ornament and tree count statistic.




If you are in Arizona over Christmas...Thanksgiving...New Years...ah hell, even Easter...you will want to stop by my mom's house for a look see, it really is a site to behold. She might even give you a treat for coming over.

8 comments:

the Marvelous Mrs. M said...

That IS a hilarious insult AND those are a lot of trees!

Sarah Heder said...

Good story, Kate. This is hilarious and gave me a good chuckle. I think people should be more creative with their insults like this woman. And really . . . what is up with all the Christmas trees? I've never seen so many in one house. Do you think you'll carry on the tradition of your Mom with all the Christmas trees?

Kim said...

So funny & so familiar! Our moms have issues. I love the last part..Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and Easter. Too funny!

The comstocks said...

Ouch that is mean! I wish my house looked like your moms at christmas!! :)

Shannon said...

I think I got your curse instead. One year our tree fell over like 3 times. We lost a lot of little glass balls that year (smile).

Your moms house is amazing. I would hate to be the one to put it all away though. That is dedication.

Linda said...

I am hysterical!

Carissa Mason said...

Look at all the Christmas trees! That is awesome!!!

Aidan and Bauer said...

AWESOME. I'm officially going to add that one to "great story, but not mine"...I heart your mom...I would LOVE for my house to look like that and I would cry if my tree fell over and the ornaments broke. Matt makes fun of me all year because I have 3 huge rubbermaids filled with Christmas decorations...I pale in comparison....